Garfield & Hecht, P.C.
625 E. Hyman Avenue
Aspen, CO 81611
Ron is one of the founders of Garfield & Hecht, P.C. (started in 1975) and currently serves as the firm’s managing shareholder. The firm currently has 25 attorneys posted in seven (7) offices, six (6) of which are on the Western Slope of Colorado and one of which is at the Denver Tech Center. Ron also heads the firm’s transactional practice group and oversees the firm’s opinion letter practice. Ron keeps active in various practice areas representing individual and corporate clients in numerous matters. Ron regularly represents both landlords and tenants in negotiating retail, office and residential leases and drafts covenants and declarations for all types of real estate projects, from duplexes to PUD’s including high-end PUDs such as Wildcat Ranch.
Ron represents banks and private lenders in their lending activities as well as the restructure of non-performing loans. Ron also represents lenders in collection activity, including foreclosures and UCC sales.
Ron represents purchasers and sellers of all manner of real estate including fractional interests, single family, duplexes, commercial properties, farm and ranch lands and parcels earmarked for development.
Ron represents clients in the negotiation and drafting of entity governance documents, including shareholder and operating agreements. Ron also represents clients who are parties to governance documents where disputes have arisen, and often successfully negotiates resolutions so the parties can avoid litigation.
Ron represents buyers and sellers of businesses including stock and asset sales with and without leverage.
Ron produces each year for internal use by the firm’s attorneys a proprietary “Real Estate Manual” that includes practice pointers and custom contract provisions that are used by the firm’s attorneys when drafting both custom and standard form real estate contracts.
- Bucknell University (B.S.B. A., 1966)
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., 1969)
- Colorado (1972)
- New York (1969)
Bar Associations & Professional Societies:
- Pitkin County Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Member, Sections on: Real Estate; Business Law; Law Office Management)
- National Strafford Webinar presenter for “Homeowners Documents for Developers & Project Owners: Financial Governance, Control and Liability Provisions.” The webinar was well attended and received reviews and feedback that the presentation was above average.
- Numerous presentations to the firm’s bank clients on various topics including reserve studies for homeowners associations, secured lending under the Colorado Uniform Commercial Code, material assets and lending to homeowner associations.
- Condominium Obsolescence The Final Act or a New Beginning. The Colorado Lawyer (to be published in the January 2020 issue).
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessments – Are they Enough, The Colorado Lawyer April 2018 (Vol. 47 No. 4).
- SK Peightal v. Mid Valley – Construction Defect Litigators and Bank Attorneys Take Notice, The Colorado Lawyer September 2016 (Vol. 45 No. 9).
- When Homeowner Associations Borrow- What Attorneys and Lenders Should Know, The Colorado Lawyer December 2015 (Vol. 44 No. 12).
- Third Party Opinion Letters: Limiting Liability of Opinion Givers, The Colorado Lawyer November 2013 (Vol. 42 No. 11).
- Public Trustee Foreclosures: Be Aware of What Remains, The Colorado Lawyer, September 2011 (Vol. 40 No. 9).
- Numerous articles for clients and potential clients appearing on the firm’s website including: Purchasing Mountain Property, Renting Mountain Property and Selling Mountain Property.
The firm represents individuals, companies, banks, municipalities, special districts, private equity groups, homeowners associations, licensed professionals, and non-profit organizations in all fields.
The firm handles a wide array of matters: real estate and land use, corporate transactions, business formation and management, creditors’ rights, commercial and civil litigation (including business disputes, real estate litigation, bankruptcy litigation, and appeals at all levels) at all levels of state and federal courts, family law, trusts and estates, probate, tax, and municipal and water law.
With offices in Aspen, Avon/Vail, Carbondale, Crested Butte, Denver/DCT Glenwood Springs and Rifle, it is the largest law firm based in Western Colorado, and it serves its global, national, regional, and local clients throughout Colorado and beyond.
The firm is rated AV (the highest rating) by Martindale Hubbell and is constantly included in US News and World Report Best Law Firms. The firm continuously has attorneys included in Colorado’s annual listing of Super Lawyers.
Garfield & Hecht’s transactional group is committed to providing top-flight and effective legal services for virtually all transactional and business-related matters. The firm’s transactional practice covers real estate (including representing commercial and residential developers), lending, commercial law, business organizations, municipal and special district law, water law, public financing, administrative law (with an emphasis on land use) and landlord/tenant matters. The firm currently represents the municipalities of Avon, DeBeque, Delta, Fairplay, Fruita, New Castle and Red Cliff.
Many of the firm’s lawyers in the transactional practice group have over 20 years’ experience, and some have over 40 years’ experience. The transactional group is versed in handling all types of business transactions, including buying and selling real estate, leasing, lending, commercial law, and the sale and purchase of businesses, including leveraged buy-outs. When necessary, the transactional practice is supported by an experienced top flight litigators.
Since 2000, under Ron’s leadership, the firm has contributed more than $200,000 to local charities, non-profits and other organizations. Representative organizations that have received financial contributions include: The Aspen Music Festival, Music in the Park, Habitat for Humanity, Aspen Institute, Lift Up, Aspen Junior Hockey, Hospice of the Valley, Vail Valley Charitable Fund, Eagle Valley Land Trust, MD Anderson, Anderson Ranch, Independence Pass Foundation, Response, Raising a Reader, Aspen Community Theater and English in Action.
The firm was an original sponsor of the Aspen Young Professional Association (AYPA) and continues to provide financial support to AYPA. The firm makes annual presentations to AYPA on timely legal topics of interest to young professionals.
Under Ron’s leadership, the firm holds an annual luncheon meeting for all lawyers and staff (in lieu of a traditional holiday party) at which any lawyer or staff member can advocate for a charity or non-profit to receive a charitable donation from the firm. This year’s event resulted in donations to Mind Springs Heath, Capitan’s for Clean Water, Roaring Fork Precollegiate, Save the Lake, The Betty Flies Foundation, High County News, Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard Club, Firefly Autism, The Buddy Program, El Campito Refugio Una Nueva Oportunidad and Rifle Animal Shelter.
The firm underwrites the Aspen Institute’s Sandra Day O’Connor Speaker Series.
Ron was elected to serve on Pitkin County’s Home Rule Charter Commission. Over the years Ron has served on the boards of various non-profits, homeowner associations and special districts.
Garfield & Hecht, P.C. was founded in 1975 by Ronald Garfield and Andrew Hecht. The firm has been rated AV by its peers, which is the highest possible rating.