James D. Garbus
Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C.
New York, NY 10018
Tel: (212) 763-7005 / (516) 592-5797
Over the past 20 years, Mr. Garbus has spent significant time counseling shareholders, partners, members and companies on strategizing, negotiating, and settling business owner disputes and partnership divorces of closely-held companies.
In 2019, Mr. Garbus was named to the New York Super Lawyers list. In 2019, Mr. Garbus was awarded Long Island Business News’ Executive Circle Award. He is a founding member and co-chair of the Middle Market Alliance of Long Island, Inc. Since 2010, Mr. Garbus has been recognized annually as a top corporate attorney in Long Island Business News’ Who’s Who in Corporate Law.
Mr. Garbus is also the co-founder of a film finance and production company. He is the producer of several independent films and other productions. He is also a former member of the Board of Naked Angels theater company in New York City.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Garbus was in private practice. Before that, Mr. Garbus was a Partner at Parker Chapin LLP and an Associate at Breed Abbott & Morgan LLP where he practiced in the Corporate Department.
- Represented private equity firm in roll-up acquisition of multiple international semiconductor businesses and subsequent sale to an international public company
- Represented manufacturer of products for the aerospace and military markets in sale to a private equity firm
- Represented private multi-generational family-owned business in ESOP transactions
- Represented national bank in the restructuring of secured debt to corporate borrower in connection with its sale to a private equity firm
- Represented two digital media advertising firms in their sale to a major mobile and social app publisher
Corporate law attorneys need to know more than the law: they must understand how the business world operates. With decades of combined experience, Meyer Suozzi’s corporate attorneys have a finely honed knowledge of the internal workings of business – the paths to success and the pitfalls to avoid. In every corporate transaction we seek to protect our client’s interests. Our many long-standing clients respect our innovative approaches to complex deals and problems. They know we always weigh costs against benefits. And, in today’s lightning-fast marketplace, they also value our responsiveness.
As outside general counsel, we regularly advise senior management on critical business decisions. In addition to providing legal counsel, our corporate law attorneys are trusted long-term business advisors who play a key role in corporate planning and growth, and who put clients’ needs first. Our attorneys speak from practical experience, having run private businesses, having acted as in-house corporate counsel and having served on corporate boards of directors.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Shareholder Agreements
- Contract Negotiations
- Business Formation and Development
- Corporate Governance and SEC Compliance
- Leveraged Buy-outs
- Joint Ventures
- Intellectual Property and Software Licensing
- Strategic Alliances and Co-branding
- Venture Capital Financing
- Private and Public Securities Offerings
- Commercial Lending and Other Financial Transactions
- Executive Compensation Strategies
- Franchising and Distributorships
- Antitrust Matters
Our rapidly growing client base, covers the spectrum from publicly traded to privately held corporations, and from small start-up ventures to Fortune 500 companies. These clients, located worldwide, represent a wide variety of industries, from aerospace to sanitation.
Today, Meyer, Suozzi, English and Klein, P.C., a law firm comprising some of the most celebrated legal professionals and former public servants, is testament to his foresight and resolve.
Our law firm is unique in that our 18 practice groups manage, negotiate or litigate just about any legal issue, transaction or dispute ranging from: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Bankruptcy and Business Reorganization Law, Personal Injury Law, Criminal Defense Law, Corporate Finance, Corporate Law, Employee Benefits ERISA Law, Employment Law, Equine & Racing Law, Labor Law, Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Local Government, Land Use Law & Environmental Compliance, Professional Responsibility, Real Estate Law, Tax Certiorari & Condemnation Law and Wills, Trusts and Estates.