James R. Cummins
Cummins Law LLC
312 Walnut Street, Suite 1530
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Tel: (513) 721-9000
James R. Cummins is the managing partner of Cummins Law LLC, and has practiced in business matters, including business formation, business disputes and corporate governance fields for over 30 years.
He has been the lead counsel in mergers, corporate business dissident and taken over challenges, minority shareholder disputes and SEC civil litigation and enforcement defense. During his career he has frequently been selected by public and private companies to conduct board directed special investigations on officer conduct and employee malfeasance.
He has been nationally recognized for his direction of proxy efforts on behalf of dissident shareholders seeking control of boards of directors and has also defended public and private companies against dissident control challenges. He has frequently been engaged to advise corporate officers and directors in state and SEC compliance and enforcement matters.
Among his national and international recognition is the designation among only 236 lawyers in 40 countries, for his corporate governance experience and expertise by the International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers. He has been designated as a Super Lawyer, a Best Lawyer in America and a Preeminent Lawyer for his work in the corporate securities and finance field. His success was recognized in The American Lawyer, Winners Circle 2006 for a $410 million record settlement in Freddie Mac Securities Litigation, a securities fraud case, for a recovery on behalf of shareholders of Freddie Mac.
Jim has represented businesses of all sizes from sole owners to publicly held companies owned by thousands of shareholders. From early formation of startups and their financing to complex private midterm and long term financing, his practice is designed to assist in the early development of businesses and their successful efficient growth. Jim’s practice has frequently advised start up entrepreneurs in financings, growth strategies and investor attraction and dispute resolution. He was legal counsel in the formation and continuing representation of one of the first money market funds in the United States and its related mutual fund.
Jim has represented public companies for over 30 years in SEC and state securities law compliance, mergers and acquisitions, proxy contests and corporate special investigations. He has been recognized as a corporate governance expert and has provided expert opinions and guidance for both public and private businesses throughout his career. Recently, he was principal counsel in successfully guiding a public company through the discovery of an employee defalcation while the company was engaged in a $185 million merger.
Ohio, 1967; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1970; United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1995; Kentucky, 1999; United States District Court District of Columbia, 2004; United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 2008; US Supreme Court, 2009; United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2009.
- College: Princeton University A.B., 1964
- Law School: University of Cincinnati, J.D., 1967; New York University, LL.M. in International Business Transactions, 1968.
- The American Lawyer, Corporate General Counsels’ Selection (1 of 2 firms in Tri-State) for Litigation Resource in Ohio.
- Ohio Super Lawyer 2007-2017, recognized as one of the top 20 Securities and Corporate Finance attorneys.
- Best Lawyers in America 2015-2017, recognized as top Securities and Corporate counsel.
- The American Lawyer, Winners Circle, 2006, “Big Suits,” recognizing $410 million record settlement in Freddie Mac Securities Litigation.
- The International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers (2002), selected as one of 66 U.S. attorneys (236 internationally), recognized by their peers and their clients as leaders in the field of corporate governance.
Areas of Practice:
- Business Start Up and Development including Financing New and Mature Businesses
- Corporate Governance , including Advisory Services to Corporate Officers and Directors in Compliance and Enforcement Matters
- Protecting Shareholder Rights
- Civil Litigation, including Securities Fraud Litigation
- Proxy Contests
For over thirty years, members of the Cummins Law team have delivered on the goals and objectives set by its clients within realistic budgets. Our attorney profiles describe the details of many of our proudest achievements – start up successes, business control disputes and governance guidance for public and private boards of directors and executive officers.