Gesmer Updegrove LLP
40 Broad Street
Boston, MA 02109
In the course of over 40 years in practice, Andy has counseled many hundreds of startup and emerging high-technology and other fast growth clients of all types – always with the goal of helping them realize the promise and economic value of their ideas. In the course of guiding them, he:
- critiques business plans
- advises on structuring their businesses
- introduces them to financing sources
- represents them in angel, venture capital and bank financings
- counsels them on intellectual property programs
- advises them on their growth and sale strategies
- negotiates and closes mergers and acquisitions on their behalf
- guides them in all other aspects of their legal and business affairs — from inception through liquidity
Andy is recognized internationally as a leading expert on the topics of standard setting, intellectual property policies, consortia governance and open source development, and has provided standards-related testimony before bodies of Congress, state legislatures, and the European Commission, and in hearings convened by the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission. Since 1988, he has helped launch and represented many of the most important standards consortia, and more recently, open source foundations, in the world He has also served as a Director on the boards of some of the most influential organizations of this type, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), the Free Standards Group (FSG), and the Linux Foundation; as a member of a National Academies of Science committee commissioned by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; as a Board of Advisors member of HL7, an accredited EHR standards developer, and of Open Software for America, an advocacy group promoting the use of free and open source software by the U.S. Federal Government; and as a Fellow of the OpenForum Academy, a European think tank advocating openness in government processes and data. He also advises Fortune 500 companies in developing their internal standards setting policies and goals; government regulatory agencies in connection with standards-related enforcement matters; and serves as an expert witness in standards-related litigation.
We work with new and emerging businesses to create the most advantageous business structure and anticipate future challenges. Our attorneys have reviewed and critiqued thousands of business plans, and are able to help our clients refine their business models in order to create successful enterprises.
Gesmer Updegrove prides itself as being among the most respected, efficient, and bespoke firms in the region. For decades, the firm has provided the highest quality work at a fraction of the cost charged by national and international firms of comparable quality.
- Are a startup or established company navigating myriad and increasingly complex legal issues;
- Require representation on a financing, sale, or acquisition;
- Need guidance through the labyrinth of intellectual property rights; or
- Want the most sophisticated business litigation counseling and representation available
…you’ve reached the right place.
For over thirty years, Gesmer Updegrove has built its reputation and practice one client at a time. Our solutions are “made to measure,” reflect your unique requirements, and are engineered by among the most talented and trusted lawyers in New England.